Scroll Top


Frequently Asked Questions

I am a registered BAS Agent, so I can lodge your Business Activity Statements, Instalment Activity Statements and TPAR.

Definitely. Many of my existing clients have come to me with a mess I need to tidy up initially. Cleaning up a mess (no matter how bad you think it is) is my favourite. It’s like a big puzzle I need to solve, I get a lot of satisfaction out of getting everything all tidied up. I will get you back on track, fully reconciled and with up to date lodgements in next to no time.

I can do as much or as little as you like. I am there to support you, whatever that looks like. I have clients ranging from full service (I do everything) to only Quarterly BAS lodgements, to just being available to troubleshoot issues when they get stuck, and everything in between.

Great question and one I see many people unsure about.

Your bookkeeper and accountant work closely together but have two different functions.

Your bookkeeper will look after the day to day activities such as:

  • Record income and expense transactions.
  • Bank reconciliations.
  • Reconciliation of clearing and liability accounts.
  • Payroll including withholding tax and superannuation.
  • Provide BAS services (if registered as a BAS agent) and Instalment Activity Statements (IAS).
  • Superannuation Lodgements.
  • GST calculations and Lodgement.
  • Cashflow and debtor management (debt collection).
  • Preparation of financial statements.
  • Xero/MYOB software troubleshooting.

An accountant is typically engaged on an annual basis both before and at financial year end.
Your accountant will:

  • Prepare company and personal tax returns.
  • Offer tax planning services.
  • Financial forecasting and risk analysis.
  • Provide tax advice.

BAS agents are bookkeepers who are authorised by the Tax Practitioners Board to lodge Business Activity Statements (BAS), Installment Activity Statements (IAS) and Taxable payments Annual Reports (TPAR), but are not authorised to provide services relating to Income Tax. For that you will need your accountant or a registered tax agent who can offer financial services relating to income tax.

A bookkeeper will charge less than an accountant, so it’s worth utilizing the help of a bookkeeper for your day to day activities. Your accountant can then be brought in annually for tax planning (if required) and to lodge the company tax return.

I work with a variety of accountants for my clients. Having an accountant you like and trust is a big deal. My job is to make your life easier so I will work with your accountant to ensure your books are up to date and ready to be handed over.

That being said, if you are in need of a new accountant I have a handful that I recommend and would be happy to make an introduction. (I recommend them because they do great work and don’t charge like a wounded bull, I do not get, nor would I accept any enticement to make any recommendations.)

I can offer a customised package for you based on your bookkeeping needs, or operate on an hourly rate basis.
Some clients like to know in advance the cost and outcomes each month, whereas some like the flexibility of operating on the fly.

I am a certified advisor for both Xero and MYOB.

Absolutely. I have done so many of these transitions I have lost count. Lets jump on a call and I can answer all your questions.

Yes, I am fully accredited with the Tax Practitioners Board – Reg Number. 26181340

My usual process is to initially have a quick call with you, to get an idea of what I can help you with / what your concerns are.

From here I need to have a look at your Xero or MYOB file. This gives me an indication of where things are up to and how things are currently done.

After I have had a look at your file, I can jump on another call or schedule a coffee if you’re in Brisbane, to discuss areas of improvement, and how I can help moving forward. This would also include a detailed breakdown of the initial work required (if any) and our ongoing fee/time estimate.

I am based in Brisbane, but I look after my clients Australia wide. I have clients on both the Sunshine and Gold Coasts, and some in Sydney and Melbourne also. Given so many things are virtual now, looking after clients in another state is just as easy as if they are next door.

To invite us into your Xero file, go to Settings > Users > Invite A User. Please invite Kate O’Mara ( as a Business Advisor with Payroll Admin access. Then shoot Kate an email with your contact details and a quick rundown of your requirements. She’ll do the review and come back to you with her recommendations.